Thursday 26 January 2012

Professional Facebook


No matter where you are in the world, people are talking about Facebook. This social media phenomenon has invaded every square inch of our planet, Facebook is everywhere. You are of an unusual minority if you do not currently have a Facebook account. With its widespread popularity and unavoidable presence, it’s not a surprise that Facebook is an excellent platform for promoting oneself and showcasing personal and professional expertise.

Even though I’ve had a Facebook page for a few years now, I have never thought of using it to promote myself in a business sense. That changed today when I created a professional Facebook page for my communications class. I’ve uploaded a picture of my page using my newly created Flikr account. This page is not a profile; it’s just one page that is somewhat of an electronic resume or business card. It gives potential employers the opportunity to check out your skills, work experience and references in a to-the-point, easy to access resume. As a job seeker, you are able to reach those who may have been previously unreachable. A note of caution, remember to update privacy settings, photos of last weekend are the last thing your future boss needs to see. A professional page should be just that, professional.


ALES prof by jenv8

ALES prof, a photo by jenv8 on Flickr.

For further information about how Facebook can be used as a useful professional resource, check out Hilary’s blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment